Interested in the direct computation of ultrasound scattering from inhomogeneous region characterized by material nonlinearity. The harmonic components of the resulting field due to the nonlinearity has the potential for improved penetration depth and enhanced image resolution.
· Undergraduate work focused on observing the difference-frequency sound generated from the interaction of two high frequency incident beams acting on a region of interest. Evaluation of the far-field scattered pressure field using a Green’s function integral method applying Padé Approximants to extend the Neumann Series solution. Numerical simulation done in Fortran 77/90.
· Graduate work used Finite-Difference Time-Domain (FDTD) method to evaluate for the total waveform in C. To improve the execution time, algorithm was ported to CUDA C for a parallel implementation using Graphics Processing Units (GPUs). An order of magnitude improvement was found with further speedups achieved using shared memory.
· C. Nguon, M. Denis, K. Chandra, and C. Thompson, “Radiation for Bubble Contrast Agents in Inhomogeneous Media”, submitted J. Acoustical Society Am. (2013)
· C. Nguon, Max Denis, K. Chandra, C. Thompson, “Acoustic Scattering Computation”, 2014 ASEE Bridgeport, Connecticut.
· C. Nguon, Olodade Mudasiru, Sameera Mogulla, K. Chandra, C. Thompson, “Direct Computation of Acoustic Scattering and Difference Frequency Generation”, 169th Meeting Acoustical Society of America, Pittsburgh, PA (2015)
· C. Nguon, Max Denis, K. Chandra, C. Thompson, “Difference frequency scattered waves from nonlinear interactions of a solid sphere”, 168th Meeting Acoustical Society of America, Indianapolis, Indiana (2014)
· C. Nguon, Max Denis, K. Chandra, C. Thompson, “Acoustic Scattering Computation”, 2014 Zone 1 Conference of the American Society for Engineering Education, Bridgeport, Connecticut (2014)
· C. Nguon, Max Denis, K. Chandra, C. Thompson, Radiation for Bubble Contrast Agents in Inhomogeneous Media, 21st International Congress on Acoustics, Montreal, Canada, 2013
· C. Nguon, Max Denis, K. Chandra, C. Thompson, Acoustic Scattering from Dual-Frequency Incident Fields, 164th Meeting Acoustical Society of America, Kansas City, Missouri (2012)
· C. Nguon, Max Denis, K. Chandra, C. Thompson, Acoustic Scattering from Dual-Frequency Incident Fields, 64th Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Fluid Dynamics, Baltimore, Maryland (2011)
· NSF GK-12 Fellow: Vibes and Waves in Action (July 2014 – Present)
Working with Gardner High School (Gardner, MA) to develop lesson plans in physics and programming in R.
· Research Assistant (Sep 2011 –Present)
Center for Advanced Computation and Telecommunications (CACT), University of Massachusetts Lowell